Turning Platinum To Brass

Harvey A. Kader optom at IBM.NET
Tue Apr 27 21:00:31 EDT 1999

I forgot to mention that all my vintage equipment is is put into use all

the time. That is one of the very reasons for acquiring it and

collecting it. With proper care and maintenance, a vintage item whether

tube hi-fi or an automobile can last literally forever(try saying that

about modern equipment).

My stereo equipment which I use everyday for several hours is 100%

vacuum tube(from the tuner, to the preamp, to the amp). Let me tell you,

it runs rings around any solid state unit. The tube gear is infinetly

repairable(try saying that about solid state 25-50  years from now when

the ICs are totally unavailable).

So what I have is a piece of original history(40 years old) in

unmodified condition that looks, performs, and sounds like it did in

1960. Sure sounds good with my Beatles vinyl!!

Same goes for my vintage cameras which I use everyday. Shutters which

work great 20 years later.

Oh yes, my 10 year old automobile with 370,000 orginal km(225,000

miles!!) on the original engine, transmission, and clutch is also used

everyday.

Nothing is modified - simply maintained in good operating condition, and

pressed into service everday(that is probably why everything lasts so

long - use it or lose it!). History is preserved, time stands still for

a moment, and the past is recreated.

Harvey A. Kader - http://www.angelfire.com/on/vacuumtubes

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov