Best Example of Turning Platinum to Brass

Robert S. Capon RobCap at AOL.COM
Wed Apr 28 08:21:48 EDT 1999

The best example I can think of turning platinum to brass is building an
unbuilt Heathkit.  For example, if you build an HW-8, you have a collectible
worth about $350 that you're turning into an old Heathkit worth about $125.
So you have to ask, is building this radio worth $225 to me?

My wife says that it's much cheaper than psychotherapy, which at $100 per
hour would barely cover two hours.  But alas, one can spend hours and hours
building a heathkit, and stretch it out over several months.  $225 hours of
lost value spread out over 30 hours is only $7 per hour for entertainment.
That's much cheaper than dinner and a movie and a babysitter.

Having said this, it has only been on rare occasion that I've built a
heathkit, and my overwhelming preference is to build the new kits (like the
K2) as they come out.

As for modifying gear, my opinion is that Heathkits were made to be enjoyed,
and to work at their peak performance, and that mods were very much a part of
the heath legacy.  There is an entire book on mods for the HW-8, and if you
read back issues of QST (or search the QST CD library), you'll find about 22
articles on ways to improve the HW-101.  Having said this, one might be
reluctant to modify something very special that was in pristine condition
(say a Mohican or an Apache or an SB-301/401 in 10 out of 10 condition).

73,

Rob, W3DX

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov