Buffing Knobs and other plastic parts

Bill Coleman AA4LR aa4lr at RADIO.ORG
Wed Apr 28 13:25:40 EDT 1999

On 4/28/99 11:34 AM, Mills, Lewis at lmills at MAIL.STATE.MO.US wrote:

>Bill Coleman wrote:
>> You just have to hold the stick agains the buffing wheel
>> for a bit, and this "loads up" the wheel with the compound.
>> You can then
>> buff away.
>>
>> Be warned that small parts can be thrown by the wheel with
>> considerable
>> force. Use a strong tool -- such as pliers to hold onto such parts.
>> Always wear eye protection.
>>
>And also be prepared for a lot of heat and abrasion.  If you've never done
>this before, that cloth wheel and even a very "mild" compound can quickly
>wear away and melt plastic parts!

When I've seen my friend do this, he always uses a light touch, letting
the wheel do the work. For small parts, he moves them in and out of the
wheel range repeatedly. For larger parts, he moves the work around
continuously. Both practices limit the amount of localized heating caused
by the buffing process.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at radio.org
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov