To Dave WT8R From Dan End of Story

Dan Pividal N4VET OTAKEBI at AOL.COM
Tue Aug 3 17:07:22 EDT 1999

To Dave and all others. Thanks for help on Dentron.
Dave, I did what you told me. I took the meter all apart. Went in from the
front.
Found a bad wire connection in the meter. I fixed it and now have the low
down.
See if this makes sense.
Seems that the meter after repair shows a voltage of 1000 volts at rest.
This should be between 1100 and 1200 volts at rest according to Dentron book.
Now, what I see is that the anodes of the 6LQ6's are not getting 1200 volts
only 1000 and that could be off by 500 volts + or -.
I got a hold of some old test results from Svetlana Tube Company.
At 3.5 band 3.8 Mhz I should get 550 watts from a 52 watt exciter power.
I only get 400 watts with 80 watts exciter power.
At 400 watts my plate current is .7A. Svetlana's was at 1A.
Now Dentron shows unit should run on 117 VAC or 234 VAC.
We all know we are lucky to pull 110 VAC or 220 VAC.
So, I think my problem is a combination of low wall VAC and an underrated
transformer that came with the Dentron.
Short of replacing the transformer (which is not worth the effort) I can see
no fix.
Can you?
The only thing that might work is to go 220 VAC.
The fuse blows, I think, due to the voltage drop caused by the weak
transformer.
Is that a fair assumption?
Dentron must have tested this amp under lab conditions. Even Svetlana can't
get 600 watts out of this amp.
I think that's why it is called the Dentron GLA1000.
If Dentron had put in a bigger transformer they could have called it the
Dentron GLA1200.
Hi Hi Hi.
Anyway, that's the end of the story.
And, I want to thank all you guys that responded to my request for help.
But most thanks to you Dave for all your help.
73, Dan N4VET.

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov