HW-16: Drive Repair and Transceive Modification?

John H. Klingelhoeffer WB4LNM at AOL.COM
Mon Aug 9 16:27:37 EDT 1999

I recently worked on an HW-16 and now have it up in pretty good running
shape.  I have one question and one request for suggestions for the unit as
it now stands.

Repair:  While the "gripper" mechanism for translating the tuning knob
rotation to the outside rim of the tuning dial still works, it is shaky, and
slips much more than I remember it doing (with my unit 30 years ago!).  Is
there some combination of common hardware parts that has been figured out to
replace this?  The current parts that I have look very worn out.  Maybe
something like a 1/4" bolt with washers and a small compression spring
through a 1/4" panel bearing?  I have not looked at this in detail yet, but I
thought I would ask to keep from re-inventing the wheel (no pun intended).
The original part appears to be something Heath had specially machined.

Improvement:  I have been told several times by different people that there
was an article discussing how to combine the existing VFO/BFO/HFO signals to
create a "full" transceiver (that is, one that transmits and receives on
approximately the same frequency without the use of crystal control).  I am
told this was not in QST and I have verified that (only a conversion to 20m
is mentioned), but might have been in "73" or "CQ ".  Again, I can figure out
how to do this, but it would be nice to benefit from someone elses attempt.
Is this just an urban legend?

If you have any ideas, please drop me a note at: WB4LNM at aol.com
Thanks and 73.

John Klingelhoeffer
"One of the Hams from Heath (1979-1981)"
Old Heathens never die, they just turn green...

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov