Heath HW4M 440 handheld..

raymond bullock cbullock at EROLS.COM
Fri Aug 20 13:22:07 EDT 1999

I have a HW4M 440 synthesized HT, made by Standard radio radio for Heath I am pretty sure in the early/mid 90's.  I placed this request for info in this site some months back, with basically no results.  And now another issue has entered the picture...
First, I am after a users/owners manual for this radio, and maybe a repair manual if available.  I have figured out a good bit about the radio and what it can do, but I still am lacking in information on certain aspects of operation.
Second, thes radio has picked up a weird problem (or maybe it had the problem when I got it, but just did not show)....on occassion (one never knows), when the radio is turned on, it will immediately go into the transmit mode and be locked in that mode for 30 seconds to a minute, and then drop out and all is normal.  It may do this quirk 3 times in a row when you turn the radio on, or it may not do it for dozens of times that you turn the radio on--one just never knows. Query 2 is that as of now I cannot get it to go beyond 449.99, when that is entered in, and the dial knob turned to bring it up to 450 so you can receive in that area, the radio display resorts to 438.000---and I cannot figure out how to get it to stop doing that, nor to I have any idea what I did to get the radio to start locking up like that. I want to get the radio to be able to get into the 450-460 area for listening like it did before.  I am also after any info on how to do the keyboard mod to get the unit to transmit in the 450-460 band, if anyone can help me. Any info on any of the above requests will be appreciated.  GARY,  WD4IPL   <cbullock at erols.com>