HP-1144A/PS-1144 WANTED

Mike Morris morris at COGENT.NET
Sat Aug 21 18:09:36 EDT 1999

First  pop the transformers secondary wires loose and check the
voltage, then if it's zero, verify voltage is reaching the
xformer primary - you could have an open fuse holder (yes, it
happened to me...)

If you have voltage on the primary, and zero on the secondary,
peel the fish paper off the secondary and find where the
insulated wires are soldered to the actual enameled winding. You
might find one is loose due to overheating and melted solder
(hey, you've got nothing to loose, the xformer is zero volts
anyway...)

Some transformers had a short piece of thin wire inside the
xformer as a secondary fuse.  I generally jumper that and add
an external secondary fuse.

By the way, 99% of the dead wall-wart power packs include a
blown secondary fuse.  They run the diodes and filter caps too
close to their ratings, and something shorts and blows the fuse.
I've recovered a few of them ....

Mike WA6ILQ

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov