PEM nuts?

James True N5ARW n5arw at IBM.NET
Sun Aug 29 15:17:29 EDT 1999

On Sat, 28 Aug 1999 21:00:21 -0400, Sandy Gerli wrote:

>Hi, greenies,
>
>Boy, do I have a needle-in-the-haystack for you.

Sandy,

I saved this post from the collins list.  It is included in its
entirety with credit given where credit is due.  Hope it helps.

73
James N5ARW

----------------From the Collins List -------------------------------

They are called Splined Panel nuts or we also call the PEM nuts as one of
the manufacturers is PEM.  They can be obtained from McMaster Carr with
part number 94648A204 for the 6-32 size.  Although they are sold in
packages of 100 they will sell smaller quantities.  I have been dealing with
McMaster Carr for about ten years and they are a nice company to work
with.  The PEM nuts are suppose to be inserted with a press but I have had
good luck replacing them with a stainless screw and washer and forcing them
into place by tightening the screw until it is about ready to break.   A little
epoxy would help if the hole has been enlarged, but I have not needed it.
You need to be careful about not pushing with the screw driver when you
are putting the feet back on or you can knock them loose again.
McMaster-Carr (in LA is at 562-692-5911).

73, Alan - K6RFK

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov