[Heathkit] wind cups

M. Kassay michael.kassay at SYMPATICO.CA
Wed Dec 8 08:50:00 EST 1999

> Karl Verren wrote:
> >
> >         Dear list members,
> >
> >         I have just lost my anemometer cups to a severe wind storm here in
> > Mojave,CA.(80 mph with 105 mph gusts). This is a Heath ID-5001 system and
> > the wind cup's part number is 266-939 in the assembly manual.
> >         I would like to buy a new cup assy. or a one that is in very good
> > condition from a private party.I would also like to know if there is a
> > company out there that still makes these things or has a stock of them
> > available. I know that this list is one of the best places for this type of
> > question. I would like to offer my thanks in advance for anything that any
> > of you can provide.

HI All....  Here is an idea that might just work in some cases....

I had the same problem with a wind cup breaking....so.... I couldnt find a new one, so I
made my own....    What I did was with a little elbow grease....  I used one of the kids
plastic bubble gum circular cups... You know the one that costs abt a quarter, you either
get gum or a cheap toys in... Most of the time you see the cups lying around on the ground
by the machine!    Depending on the size of the cup of course, I glued the cup on the broken
end of the aneometer head.  It worked fine...It didnt look pretty but it did the job.,...
after, I ended up changing all 3 cups, now its uniform and works fine....   Any change or
error in calibration would be minimal.  Make sure you try and keep the unit ballanced
otherwise it will not work worth a hoot!   The smaller the cup, as in depth, the
better....    And if you have any future breaks,,,,treat yourself to some gum!  :)

Hope this helps...

73 Mike

Michael Kassay - VE3MKX - QRP
Minesing, Ontario, CANADA