Simplest TR Switch

Edward Swynar VE3 CUI gswynar at DURHAM.NET
Fri Dec 10 16:52:53 EST 1999

Hey Guys...

Be VERY VERY CAREFUL with such devices!

I'm referring to them, of course, as being EXCELLENT generators of TVI. My
one & only (touch wood) experience with a representative of the
interference bureau of our Canadian licensing body occured many years ago,
when, as a budding newcomer to Ham radio, I built---and used---a
hands-free, 6AH6 tube-type T/R switch...

Unbeknownst to me, my little 6T9 compactron rig was completely obliterating
a neighbour's TV away down the block! I was on 40-meters, with about
6-watts of output---not exactly rock-crushing power, but boy-o-boy, I sure
had my eyes opened up that day!

I scrapped the T/R switch, & built-up a 115VAC open frame relay T/R
arrangement, much to my neighbour's (and mine!) relief...

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov