Simplest TR Switch

Garey Barrell k4oah at MINDSPRING.COM
Fri Dec 10 20:11:57 EST 1999

Hi Eddy -

I used the same (probably) TR switch back in the late 50's.  It was
originally described in a QST article, and was designed by a W3.....
Used a "broadband transformer," a toroid no less, that was available
from the author.  It was later sold as a complete product.

The one I had was designed to be mounted inside the transmitter (a WRL
Globe Chief 90 in my case,) and used the capacity of a length of coax
as the coupling cap.  The connection was to the top of the Pi-Net
input cap.  I used it for over a year in a neighborhood with NO
problems.  This was in pre-cable TV days, with most viewers using
rabbit ears.  I think the secret was mounting it INSIDE the
transmitter, taking advantage of the shielding of the transmitter and
the Hi-pass rolloff of the Pi-Net.

73, Garey - K4OAH
Atlanta

---------------------------------
Hey Guys...

Be VERY VERY CAREFUL with such devices!

I'm referring to them, of course, as being EXCELLENT generators of
TVI. My
one & only (touch wood) experience with a representative of the
interference bureau of our Canadian licensing body occured many years
ago,
when, as a budding newcomer to Ham radio, I built---and used---a
hands-free, 6AH6 tube-type T/R switch...

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov