reforming caps

George Maier gmaier at ULTRANET.COM
Wed Dec 15 09:39:18 EST 1999

Ken:
Your'e on the right track with the Sprague. I have used a TO-6 here for the last ten
years, and have developed some proceedures that work for me.  If you are going to check an
old electrolytic, it's really wise to re-form it first.  I usually start with a very low
voltage; if it's a 450V cap, I'll start at 50V, and wathc the leakage current.  Most of
the time it settles down to microamps.  Every time this happens, I raise the voltage by
30V or so, until I get to the full value, or at least to the voltage that it will be
operated at. Each time, you have to wait until the leakge current drops.  It works in
about 80% of the cases.  Some are just beyond reforming.
Once it's reformed, wait until the cap has completelty discharged, then do the value and
power factor check.
Vy 73
George Maier - K1GXT

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov