cleaning circuit boards, the Navy way!

Carl Hyde cshyde at YAHOO.COM
Thu Dec 16 10:08:12 EST 1999

When I was in the Navy we used straight grain alcohol
because it worked better removing silver oxide than
isopropyl. We also had it issued to us in small
bottles by a Corpsman. I still use it today in the
form of Ever Clear straight grain alcohol, available
at most liquor stores. Here is the procedure:

1. Have a container of slightly acidic liquid, (orange
juice, lemonaid etc.) standing ready to neutralize the
grain alcohol.

2. Dip a few wooden handled cotton swabs in the
EverClear and let them soak up as much grain alcohol
as possible.

3. Remove the excess alcohol from the q-tips by
letting it drip into a handy receptical like Oh, your
mouth for instance.

4. Neutralize the alcohol in your mouth with the
acidic liquid.

5. Repeat steps 2 through 4 ten or twenty times until
the circuit boards look pretty clean.

6. Put the circuit boards back into wherever you found
them or not, its up to you.

7. Dispose of the leftover grain alcohol by
neatralizing it completely with the acidic liquid then
just to be safe around children, the environment, or
small animals drink the mixture down.

8. The Navy method of cleaning circuit boards has
never failed in my equipment, try it yourself and see!

--- Steve Harrison <ko0u at OS.COM> wrote:
> At 08:44 PM 1999-12-15 -0500, Harvey A. Kader wrote:
> >Actually, isopropyl alcohol obtained in the
> drugstore is ONLY 70%
> alcohol/water(V/V).

=====
Carl S.HYDE
W2CSH
cshyde at yahoo.com
Eagles May Soar, But Weasles Never Get Sucked Into Jet Engines!

Politics: From the Greek word Poli, meaning many and
the word tics, meaning blood sucking parasites.

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov