More viruses being sent directly to list users

Rich Sahlender rsahlen at VOICENET.COM
Sun Dec 19 22:07:06 EST 1999

Brian Carling wrote:
> John - REPORT all such messages to your ISP and also send a copy WITH
> FULL HEADERS to:
>
> spamcop at spamcop.net
>
> Hopefully they will track this bastard down and put him in the slammer with
> the other hacker who just got sent to prison. (The Melissa Virus guy)
>
> I am sure the FBI would be very interested in this matter!

Dear Brian,

Spamcop, at least as presently implemented, is not a very good option.
The spamcop software is rather stupid, and the author refuses to talk
with me or anybody else about fixing it. For example, I do consulting
work for a small business that sells software via the internet. They
process the credit card transactions for the sale of software written
by small or independent developers and charge a small fee per sale.

Occasionally, one of the software authors / developers decides to
try and advertise their software via email and news posts. Just because
my client happens to process the credit card sale, spamcop has sent and
posted warnings about them as if they were the ones that sent the spam
in the first place. This is not right. It is also not right for the
software author to advertise via spam. And, it is also not right for
the stupid spamcop software to blame my client for something someone
halfway across the country has done just because my client happens
to process some of the transactions.

I do not subscribe to the use of spam in any way. But I cannot sit
and let stupid software like spamcop purport itself to be the answer
to the spam problem when in reality it is often blaming the wrong
parties for it. I will soon be filing a formal complaint against
spamcop since it's authors refuse to listen or talk about the matter.

Rich

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov