HW-9 question and wants..

William Mabry n4qa at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Dec 24 14:44:02 EST 1999

----- Original Message -----
From: Ron Emerson Kb9E <Rpemers at AOL.COM>
To: <HEATH at LISTSERV.TEMPE.GOV>
Sent: Thursday, December 23, 1999 10:22 AM
Subject: HW-9 question and wants..

> Hello all,
>
> I just aquired a nice HW-9, HM-9 and HFT-9.  Initial tests show the HW-9
> receives and transmits on all bands except 10 meters.  It does have the
> optional accessory pack installed with the WARC bands.  10 meters is just
> dead.  Any thoughts on why only 10 would go would be a big help before I
tear
> into it.
>
> Also,  I would like to add the PSA-9 power supply and SP-99 station
speaker
> to help complete my qrp station.  If anyone wants to part with either of
> these items let me know condition and price.
>
> Thanks and Merry Christmas to all and 73'
>
> Ron
> KB9E
>
> Sponsored by the City of Tempe
>
> Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov
'name' 'call'"

Ron, I ran across a couple more areas of possible ten meter trouble shooting
interest.
The ten meter bandpass filter circuit residing between SW401 and SW402 could
be severely detuned or otherwise defective.
Also, but less likely might be the Low Pass filter circuit used on ten
meters( ( non-tunable ) resides between SW403 and SW404 ). However, this Low
Pass filter section is also used on 12 meters so if 12 meters works then it
would "probably" work on ten as well.
Since you say the HW-9 works on all its bands EXCEPT ten meters, we must
presume that the VFO, BFO and mixers are all functioning normally.
I just now checked 17, 15, 12 and 10 meters HFO operation of my HW-9 using a
handheld VHF scanner receiver ... only had to power up the HW-9 ( and
scanner ) and hold the scanner rubber duck antenna several inches from the
HW-9 ( rig covers on as normal ). Tuned scanner ( and set HW-9 bandswitch )
to HFO xtal freq for those bands, one at a time and there they were... fully
quieted the scanner on each freq..
80, 40, 30 and 20 meter HFO operation can be easily checked using an HF
communications receiver  ( because of the HFO xtal frequencies involved on
those bands ).
OK, I'm done... whew !
73,
Bill