"SB"-Series AM Filter...

Edward Swynar VE3 CUI gswynar at MAIL.DURHAM.NET
Thu Dec 30 13:26:38 EST 1999

Greetings Fellow Heathniks...

I would dearly LOVE to hear from ANYONE who has ever successfully *BUILT* a
  broad-banded AM phone crystal i.f. filter for an SB-301/300 receiver...

My latest effort here has, alas, ended in failure yet again: I attempted to
homebrew a 2-crystal band-pass lattice type, utilizing appropriately spaced
crystals purchased just for this project, and an i.f. transformer robbed
from the remains of an old SB-102...

It was the usual result for me---beautiful hi-fi AM, but absolutely NO
skirt selectivity! (in other words, strong AM signals COVERED have the
band!).

This is most frustrating, to say the least. I thing the "stock" Heath AM
filter is far, far too narrow to complement this mode: someone once said
that the AM filter in the SWL-tailored SB-310 is broader by design...but
rare as as hen's teeth!

Is there ANYONE who has met this challenge head-on & won...?! What's the
secret...?! Does the Fox-Tango group in Florida sell AM i.f. filters for
the Heath series...? (I bought a SUPER 250-Hz c.w. filter from them them,
but that was years ago---don't even know if they're still around anymore).

Any & all feedback appreciated--many thanks!

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov