cd2664 vs cd2664A

Valdemar Phoenix vphoenix at MINDSPRING.COM
Sat Feb 27 19:46:11 EST 1999

Hello Gang,

About a month or more ago, I put out a call for 4 power transistors,
CD2664A. I bought four CD2664 (minus the "A") from one of our fellow
heathkitters. I recently pulled them out to get the repair project going,
(Power amp board, HW 104) and discovered that they were a bit structurally
different. Namely, the "A" type has a center bolt post coming out of the
back of the metal casing, while the non "A" type does not. I assume the
bolt is there as a heat sink, since they are not attached to anything. They
extend through holes in the actual heat sink of the circuit board.

Now my question. Are these two types electrically the same? I have tried
tracking down the answer to this on the net unsuccessfully, and I hope
someone here might know the answer. I would assume that the "A" version is
simply a later version of the non A, and if so, I should be able to plop
them in. But before I do, I want a little more info. After all, everyone on
the list knows that these old components are getting harder and harder to
find, and I don't want to blow them (or any thing else on the board.)  ;-)
Thanks and 73.
Val KG2PM

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov