NOS vs NEW caps

Harrah, Wayne (MCI) Wayne.Harrah at MCI.COM
Mon Jan 11 15:27:28 EST 1999

Group,

I give up!

I was simply relating what I personally heard while watching the RICK
MISH/HI-RES video on the SP-600, where RICK quite specifically says that
"NOS caps should be considered BAD.  PERIOD."  HE SAID IT, I didnt' make it
up.  He said it.

Now, I'm NEW at this, and several in this group said that NOS usually (95%
was the figure used by one individual) can be reformed and are just fine.
OK.  so, I got wrong information.  And, i'd heard about people gutting out
old aluminum cans and putting new guts in them, or covering up the REAL caps
with the old can, etc.  I also heard that some companies will REBUILD THEM
for you, for a fee.  I just dont' have any of those addresses handy.

But, it seems to me that IF POSSIBLE, anything built in THIS DECADE (likely
a BIG subject for a BIG DEBATE) would likely be considered NEW NEW, and
BESIDES, if you can't believe RICK MISH, who gets paid BIG BIG BUCKS for his
rebuilds on R-390x, etcs, then, who can you believe?

So, it is agreed then, that NOS will work, [] IF you are willing to put time
into reforming them, and/or [] IF you have no other source to find NEW ONES
that are correct.

OK?  :)

Buzz

p.s. I imagine for legal reasons Rick did NOT recommend a source for NEW NEW
STOCK caps he was using.  BUT, I just found NEW NEW STOCK caps at Antique
Electronic supply for multi-sectioned caps in MANY FLAVORS!  Now, they may
not have EVERY ONE, but they have quite a few!  And, I'll be sure to send
all you guys any NOS stock caps I pick up at any hamfest!  But, I'll have to
have a lottery for the winner, as there are a bunch of you who want 'em!  :)

*    Buzz (Wayne) Harrah - (CR LAB OPS)  *
*  mailto:Wayne.Harrah at mci.com (work)    *
*     mailto:Harrah at IA.NET (home)        *
*  pager 1-800-365-7789, pin 103328      *
*         MCI Vnet 820-2096              *