HW-9 trouble

Bill Wyatt bwyatt at ONENET.NET
Wed Jan 13 18:41:43 EST 1999

Hi everyone,

I have an HW-9 that I am having some trouble
with.  There seems to be a loose connection or bad
switch somewhere in the osc. section.

I use a light plastic tuning tool to brush the
circuit board while I listen for changes in the
audio related to a bad connection  Then as I get
close to the area I change to a stiff brush and
finally to a light paint brush to effect as small
and area as possible.  These seems to help isolate
the intermittent connection pretty quickly.

However, this one is being a pain.  I have gotten
the small paint brush out and every place I touch
seems to effect the signal in the audio.  I have
it hooked to a signal gen. and when I brush the
components it changes the freq. several hz.  It
will cause a signal to move clear out of the
receiver then come back.

I suspect the problem may be in the area around or
close to the band switches however, this area my
be super sensitive to movement in the best of
cases.  The band switches have been cleaned and I
think it may have helped a little but, the problem
is still pretty bad.  It is so bad that just the
vibration of a straight key close to the radio
causes the thing to go nuts.  And, don't even
think about setting a coffee cup down in the same
area as the radio.

Hopefully someone will have some idea as to my
problem and it may be that this is just the way
things are.  If so, I can live with that.  I love
the older stuff and a few hz. drift doesn't bother
me at all, in fact it represents character.

Thanks for you time,

Bill  N5WO

Think for yourself, or someone else will think for
you.
Follow  your dreams, or you'll spend your time and
effort
in the service of someone else's dream. Discipline
yourself,
or you'll eventually  need to be disciplined by
others.

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff HEATH