DX-40 and VF-1 chirp continued ..

Jim Berry basalop at GTE.NET
Wed Jan 13 22:22:50 EST 1999

First of all I want to thank everyone for information they sent me on my
problem with the chirping old DX-40 transmitter while using a VF-1 VFO.
Seems like the problem can almost be completly cured by running the VFO on a
separate supply.  I quickly cobbled together a 200 volt supply, hooked it up
to the VF-1 and instantly noticed a tremendous improvement.  Everything is
in a pile on my workbench.  Nothing is back together yet, but I was quite
impressed.  I have to jot down some voltage readings, but the swing on the
transmitter is a couple hundred volts.  No wonder the VFO chirped HI.  An
old trick would be to load down the power supply with heavier bleeder
resistors, but I really do not want to add any extra load to the DX-40's
power supply.  The outboard supply for the VFO is easy enough for anyone to
create.

How do you know if your rig is chirping or just has "character"?  Well, one
of my old books says to zero beat your signal and key your rig.  If you hear
no change in tone, you are not chirping.  Now character is good, because if
your rig does not have any, folks will think  you are running one of those
sterile rice boxes HI.

Again thanks all and this playing with older gear is really a lot of fun.
Instead of flapping my fingers here, I have to get on my project.  I have
not even checked it out on 10 or 15 meters yet.  Now that is going to be the
real test HI.

Again thanks and continue to have fun.

73 Jim K7SLI

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov