Heathkit Receiver Power Cords

Steve Harrison ko0u at OS.COM
Thu Jan 14 00:20:04 EST 1999

I found what look very much like the power cords with the round pins used
with Heathkit receivers listed in the '98 Newark's catalog this afternoon.
There are two types, the difference being that they swap the two outside
wires from side to side (that is, the Line and Neutral wires).

The cords are made by Belden, who calls these cables "SVT Cord,
Unshielded". Looking at the open end of the round-pin connector, they are
wired as shown below. Belden apparently cuts the cables to slightly
different lengths to identify them. I would think that the round-number
length of 8-feet would likely be the correct one.

P/N 17280B  8-foot length  $5.31 each

              Earth
          -------------
          |     o     |
Line      |  o     o  | Neutral
          -------------

P/N 17952S  7-1/2-foot length  $5.92 each

              Earth
          -------------
          |     o     |
Neutral   |  o     o  | Line
          -------------

I don't know which way the Heathkit receivers are wired; somebody should
look and see which pin of the power connector is wired to the ON/OFF switch
and let us all know (I don't presently own a Heathkit receiver although I
think I'm gonna pick up a SB313 from a local this weekend!).

And no, I'm sorry: for some reason, I clean forgot to note what Newark's
Stock Number was for these!! I'll look them up again tomorrow. Also, I
think Newark has a minimum order but I don't remember if it's still $25 or
has gone up. Also, I didn't check to see if they are actually in stock! I
could not find such cords in the DigiKey catalog (however, DigiKey does
carry Belden and so they may be able to special-order), and didn't have
time to check other catalogs such as Mouser, MCM, or Allied.

73, Steve Ko0U/1

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff HEATH