NOS Aluminum Electrolytics

Phil Mills pmills at A.CRL.COM
Fri Jan 15 17:40:57 EST 1999

>5.    If I haven't used one of my older receivers (or xmtrs) for a couple of
>years, I bring them up on a variac just in case their filter caps need to be
>reformed.  How many stories have you heard about filter caps failing at
>power-on??

Dave,

I too use a Heath DC bench supply for reforming.  But I do not use a
variac because you really don't get much B+ voltage in the equipment
until the rectifier tube starts to conduct.  I actually have had very
good success reforming in circuit.  I use an ohmeter to make a quick
reading between the cap terminals to read the circuit resistance....
then, as I increase the voltage from the DC supply I factor in mentally
how much of the current flow is due to the cap and how much due to
the circuit....it's not hard with just a little practice.

good luck & 73,
Phil

Phil Mills      AB5TH
pmills at a.crl.com