NOS, OOS electrolytic capacitors

Multi-Volti Devices multi-volti at SOFTHOUSE.COM
Mon Jan 18 21:02:13 EST 1999

Hello:

Some great info coming out of list members. I was going to remark that declaring parts 'good' or 'bad' is relative, if they don't obviously fail catastrophically.

When one is overhauling Collin sequipment for top dollar, or being neurotic about one's audio equipment, one may not want to compromise. Parts can deteriorate and be out of tolerance with respect to capacitance, leakage current, ESR, etc. They are not necessarily 'bad' because of age.

Considering NOS twist-lock multi-sections for a few dollars vs. about $20 for new ones, one can decide whether one wants to make slight compromises on ones' own equipment.

I would not suggest very old electrolytics in something more stressful like an off line switching supply with high ripple currant at high frequencies.

Furthermore, when reforming, I have always taken a quick look at the leakage spec (Ileak <=0.08 CV to 0.1CV for modern caps) for a quick mental comparison on limiting the current while reforming. I don't know what the spec was for typical OLD caps (like decades older than the NOS ones considered for replacement), but I assume it was worse (meaning higher leakage current is probably acceptable).

If I was paying top dollar to have something overhauled, yeah, I'd want new parts...I'd want to get as much life out of my hard earned overhaul as I could. But if was cheaping out on my own basement project, I'd think twice about paying top dollar for several new multisection twistlocks...they might cost more than
the project was worth!

Murray