Heathkit IP-2717A Regulated H.V. Power Supply

Richard Post post at OUVAXA.CATS.OHIOU.EDU
Fri Jan 22 09:44:44 EST 1999

Harvey,

Great buy!  Your power supply is the last of the line.  The PS-4, IP-32,
IP-17 are its predecessors (in time respective order) that are nearly
identical electrically. All use a pair of 6L6  as pass tubes.  One
transformer supplies all of the filament voltages through the standby
switch position, the other is the source for all of the B+ voltages of
which there are three separate circuits, one for the main, one for the
screen supply of the 6L6 tubes and one for the negative supply for the
control tube.

The older PS-3 is a different circuit using a single transformer and is not
as reliable as these others.

The IP-32 is a mostly cosmetic upgrade of the PS-4.  The IP-17 is a
low-profile repackaging.  I suspect your IP-2717A is a mostly cosmetic
upgrade of the IP-17.

These power supplies are great for reforming caps.  For testing receivers
with tube rectifiers, I simply pull the radio's rectifier.   The radio's
power transformer still supplies the set with filament voltage.  I then use
the Heath variable supply to feed the B+ side of the set.  That way I can
gently reform all the caps at once and  I can also monitor the B+ current
requirement for the set to see if it is appropriate.

It was difficult to design a reliable solid state circuit that would do
this job back in the 1970s.  All of Heath's low voltage variable supplies
were solid state but not the high voltage supply.

Rich

>It is story time everybody! Let me tell you an interesting story. Was it
>possible to buy from Heathkit in 1990 a tube product?
>
>Well, I did just that. Before Heathkit announced its abandonment of kit
>land, they sold off inventory at a franction of the original price. This
>power supply(IP-2717A) was listed. So I bought it. What a find!. It is a
>tube power supply with GE 6L6GC tubes(two)and two independent
>transformers.
>
>It was designed for the tube era - it supplies B+ and C- volts for tube
>circuits. It has two meters on the front - one for voltage and one for
>current.
>
>This is a heavy unit, and it is a beauty. Imagine, building a tube
>Heathkit product in 1990!! They don't design units like this anymore.
>
>Anyone have experience with this power supply?
>
>I will supply specs soon.
>
>Harvey A. Kader - http://www.angelfire.com/on/vacuumtubes

      Boatanchor Pix website - KB8TAD
 http://ouvaxa.cats.ohiou.edu/~post/PIX/BA.html

visit the Museum of Radio and Technology website
   http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~postr/MRT/

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff HEATH