Virus Alerts - Fake and otherwise

Ed Mosher wa8zvo at JUNO.COM
Fri Jan 22 18:06:49 EST 1999

Pardon the bandwidth, but this is the third "alert" I've gotten this
week.  Please review the following info BEFORE YOU send email to "all of
your friends"; which is what is really wanted.  Plug up the email servers
with junk.  Check it out FIRST!

***********************************

Welcome to the Virus Alert of the Day for Wednesday, January 6, 1999

The following viruses are scheduled to activate today:
Helper.E
Kompu.A

The following virus is expected to activate tomorrow:
Alliance.A

(All of the above viruses can be detected and removed with regular
antivirus programs.)

Question of the Week: Checking Out Hoaxes
Q: I'm using ICQ, and somebody just sent me an alert concerning a
possible virus called BEARINGS. Could you indicate a URL where I could
find out if this is a real virus or just another one of those hoaxes?
--Mario Lemay

A: At press time, we found no reports of a virus or hoax called
BEARINGS. Several Web sites offer news on new viruses and hoaxes. One
good source is the Data Fellows Virus News Updates page at

http://www.datafellows.com/news/vir-news/

The U.S. Department of Energy's Computer Incident Advisory Capability
also keeps track of hoaxes at

http://www.ciac.org/ciac/CIACHoaxes.html

Symantec's Antivirus Research Center tracks emerging viruses as well
as hoaxes at

http://www.sarc.com

FYI

Ed Mosher
WA8ZVO at JUNO.COM         Formerly  "One of the Hams at Heath"

 **The most valuable "things" in our lives are not things! **

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
and in body: signoff HEATH