SB-303 Problems

Dan Osborne dosborne at TCS003.CHIPSHOT.NET
Wed Jul 7 08:30:11 EDT 1999

Fellow Heath guys and gals....

I have a SB-303 that has been in storage for several years.
Recently powered the unit up and "rediscovered" these problems:

1) LMO output "jumpy" and noisy - I assume a grounding problem
inside the LMO - would appreciate input from someone that has
had some hands on with these little critters...and yes, the terminator
is installed on the LMO jack on the rear of the receiver.

2) Changing modes from USB to LSB varies the audio pitch from a thin
raspy tone on USB to a bassy rough tone on LSB. The BFO xtal osc
freg checks within 5 cycles on both upper and lower...ideas ???
....400 cycle CW mode sounds OK...
(I suspect a bad SSB filter - the smaller bandpass filter on the mixer
board located on the top side of the unit has already been changed -
no improvement - yes, new one was also the original Heath part #)

I have all the manuals and extender boards so detailed troubleshooting
will not be a problem. Had these problems several years ago and just
now have time to tackle them again. I know these receivers preform
much better than this and would like to get this one back in service.

Thanks
Dan Osborne  WB5AFY
dosborne at tcs003.chipshot.net
972-714-1155 (work)