HW-101 OWNERS

Dave Edwards ham at CYBERCOMM.NET
Sat Jul 10 10:03:21 EDT 1999

To all HW-101 owners. Perhaps we can compare notes..
I built a 101 when I was in high school in 1974. I got a manual in advance to see
if I would be able to 'handle' it.
Everything went well, I used the rig for a few years and sold it around 1979 for
a TS520. I then gave the spare manual away to someone in Pennsylvania after he posted a Packet request (no internet then.....also, no $30.00 manuals!!!)
Well, now 20 years later I got another HW101!!
First.... ANYONE GOT A MANUAL?????
Second... If you look at yours'....on the audio board, towards the right rear of the chassis.. right in front of the two big resistors.. My old 101 used to have a PEC,
(packaged electronic circuit) standing up vertically.
This one has a little circuit board with the individual components.
Third... How can I date this one? It came with a PS23 power supply, and not a HP23A,B,C etc.
If I recall, my old one had all IEC (Mullard) tubes in it. This one has a few
PRO COM (Japan) tubes in it. There is an oscillation that howels and registers on the s meter when there is no signal or antenna disconnected.
I replace the PRO COM 6BN8 AVC tube with an IEC, and the whistling stopped.
I wonder whats going on there??
My old 101 used to suffer from a wandering S meter zero set.
SO DOES THE NEW ONE!!
Has anyone ever found the cause of this. It is obviously a class problem.
What other secrets have you found about the 101, or questions you might have.
Regards...Dave    KD2E