6DS4 tubes

Bob & Bettina Groh rgroh at SWBELL.NET
Sun Jul 11 11:09:28 EDT 1999

Dave,

You either have a lot of bad tubes with open filaments or (more likely)
your tube tester is not working.  I checked my 1971 ARRL Handbook and did
find a listing for the 6DS4 - 6.3V high-mu triode.  You can check the
filament connection on the tube with an ohm meter (expect somewhere around
6 ohms or so?? ).  If ok, check the filament  sockets on the tube checker -
should have 6.3VAC there.  If both check out, back to square one.  But I'll
bet one or the other is not right (maybe the switches on the tube tester
are not set right??).

Basically you have to have a filament glowing for the tube to have a prayer
of working.  And that means it should definately be warm or even hot within
30 seconds or so of turning it on.

Good luck.

Bob Groh, WA2CKY

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov