SB-301 Frequency dial Results

Carl Hyde cshyde at YAHOO.COM
Thu Jul 15 16:31:56 EDT 1999

Thanks to everyone who responded to my dilemma on the
SB-301 Frequency Dial.  Some great assistance was
provided and I thought I would share the handy hints
and Kinks I learned.  I was able to save the frequency
graticule with the help of a few contributors as
follows:

Plastic scratch and fogging removal suggestion.

Visit the automotive paint supply house in your area
and get the following:

3M #1000 wet/dry sandpaper
3M #1500 wet dry sandpaper
small rubber sanding block

3m Plastic Polish and scratch remover
or
Magguires #17 Plastic Polish  (Marine Store)
or
Plastic Restoration kit from AES

All these products will work the important ingredient
is the 3M sandpaper.

Cut the rubber sanding block into a convenient size
for the plastic piece you are working on.

start with the #1000 paper and using water work down
the area around the scratch.  Rinse the paper and
workpiece often.

Finish with the 1500 paper for the same length of
time.

Use whatever plastic polish you got to polish out the
sanding marks.

The 1000 and 1500 paper is very fine and removes very
little material at a time but it polishes out real
nice.  You will get a nice result.

DO THIS BY HAND!

DO NOT DO AS I DID, WHICH STARTED THIS WHOLE THREAD. I
TRIED TO USE A DREMEL MOTO TOOL WITH A FELT PAD TO
BUFF OUT CHEMICAL FOGGING.  THE DREMEL TOOL TAKES
ABOUT TWO SECONDS TO MELT THE PLASTIC!!

This is kind of a synopsis of many tips and worked
very well.  Thanks to all the offers of advice and
moral support.  I did find one replacement dial
available and  apreciate the help.

By the way the SB-301 seems to be a real nice receiver
and again I am pleasantly suprised that Heatkits
perform extremely well.  I like using them as much as
my Collins rigs.  They are fun, reliable and easy to
keep working.  Just keep Dremel tools away from them
Hi Hi.

===
Carl S.HYDE
W2CSH

Politics: From the Greek word Poli, meaning many and
the word tics, meaning blood sucking parasites.

"No man is safe while the congress is in session" (Will Rogers)

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov