SB-401 Problem

Edward Swynar VE3 CUI gswynar at DURHAM.NET
Sat Jul 17 19:56:21 EDT 1999

Ed...

Is it a problem only on USB? LSB? Both...?

Those HC6/U carrier crystals DO change over time---perhaps if it was only
one sideband, versus the other, I'd suspect that the ssb carrier frequency
is out of (or close to being so) the passband of the crystal filter.

I had similar trouble once with my SB-400---first sign of trouble was that
I never could adjust the LSB frequency to match that for USB (by way of the
variable inductor at the back of the LMO).

If I recall, LSB audio on recive was tinny & thin---ditto for transmit. A
check proved that the carrier crystal for LSB had SHIFTED some 1.8 KHz over
time! The repair was simple enough, i.e. a new LSB crystal.

Try listening for the crystal carrier frequency on a well calibrated,
digital read-out general coverage receiver to verify this---it will be
quite weak, so you will need to run a short wire from the receiver antenna
jack close to the crystals inside the Heath rig.

Good luck, & keep us posted on your progress!

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov