OLD amps, new power limits

Multi-Volti Devices multi-volti at SOFTHOUSE.COM
Sun Jul 18 19:40:32 EDT 1999

Something to consider when running an old amp to the hilt regarding power
output:

The amp was designed to run 1000 W DC input power, and 2 kW PEP SSB, input
power. Measurement of SSB power level has always been tricky.

But the point is, with a typical efficiciency of 60%, one could expect 600 W
output. Certainly the amp is capable of more, but it was not designed to
meet the later 1500 W OUTPUT power limit.

Significant deviation from the designed operating point results in different
plate resistance for the tubes. The pi-network components, while adjustable,
and not 'ideal' for the different operating point, so the tubes dissipate
more than they need to when running max-max-max power.

850 sounds good to me, from my expereince pushing one. I've seen more, but
remember the power transformer isn't rated for it long term.

Murray

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov