Lead Free Solder

Multi-Volti Devices multi-volti at SOFTHOUSE.COM
Tue Jun 1 01:27:30 EDT 1999

I don't have any references to quote, but I read somewhere in the last 5-6
years that one doesn't inhale lead when soldering, but rather the flux
fumes. They are not something one wants to regularly inhale either, but the
inference was that it's more of an irritant than a hazard. Of course, solder
aid and flux chemistry has been changing (I was going to say "...in a state
of flux") in the last 5 or more years, so I wouldn't generalize.

I have also noted many more sources of fume control equipment, so perhaps it
is less safe than it used to be considered.

I saw a company that had built their own fume control system from pvc pipe
and a centralized vacuum system...each bench had a pipe on a rotating swivel
joint.

I am thinking about trying something with a table fan and 'higher
performance' disposable furnace filters...maybe electrostatic and/or carbon
filters.

Murray