Sidetone etc. - DX-60

Sandy W5TVW ebjr at WORLDNET.ATT.NET
Sat Jun 5 23:49:09 EDT 1999

    Sidetone?  That was something that was on some military and
aircraft stuff
but not on ham gear!  (Back in those days)

    There was some neat circuits people came up with to monitor
one's CW
keying.  One was the famouss "Monitone" circuit.  E. F. Johnson
made a
keying monitor, but I don't recall what they called it.  My
favorite that I still
use is a very simple one transistor tone oscillator that is RF
powered.
I think the circuit originally used the old Raytheon CK-722.  How
many of
you solid state people remember THAT number?  Later I think the
GE 2N107
was a "sub" for the CK-722.  My latest one is built in an old
Sucrets tin
and only requires a short whip antenna to make it go.  No
batteries, no solar
cells!  It works great and you don't have to hook it to nothing!
I use a
150 ohm "surplus" telephone earpiece for a "speaker".
73,
Sandy W5TVW

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov