Sidetone etc. - DX-60

Multi-Volti Devices multi-volti at SOFTHOUSE.COM
Sat Jun 5 22:29:48 EDT 1999

You would need to check the schematic and do a little calculation for the
resistor sizes, but I have done the following in lieu of sidetone.

I started out monitoring my own signal, so I knew what exactly it sounds
like, tone, chirp, etc. I knew exactly where my signal was in dx pileups, in
cw nets, etc. I hate sidetone because it's almost 'blind'.

On receivers with a mute jack that interfaced with a transmitter, I added a
potentiometer so that the across the mute jack so that the receiver would
not be totally muted on transmit. Varying the mute voltage acted a lot like
the rf gain control; in fact on one receiver the mute circuit and rf gain
had some common circuitry.

If power dissipation in the pot is a problem (large wattage pots are harder
to find nowadays), you could substitute a fixed resistor once you determined
a reasonable receive signal level.

You essentially can run full break-in, or at least alot closer to it than tr
switching with mute recovery.

Murray