Sidetone etc. - DX-60

Holden holden at NAC.NET
Sun Jun 6 07:16:44 EDT 1999

Hello gang,

I have run into this sidetone problem before, and the suggestion from
multi-volti is one I
have used many times.

Also, another suggestion is one I have been using for about 10 years on
a Swan
trannsceiver, which also has no sidetone. Many tube-type rigs of the
late 50s and 60s use
"grid block" keying, in which the keyed stage(s) are held shut down by a
very high
negative voltage on the control grid. Keying simply grounds out most of
that voltage. I
believe the DX60 was one of those. Problem with some commercial keyer
circuits is they are not equipped to handle high negative voltages. You
would have to read the manual on one to see if it can. I use a simple
NE555 comparator chip oscillator which directly drives a speaker at good
volume - about ten components costing a couple of bucks from Rat Shack,
and two small diodes to isolate the chip from the high voltage of the
keying. A 9 volt battery lasts several months under daily use, and the
box serves as a CW practice oscillator as well. If the keying in your
DX60 is of the "cathode keying" variety, which was common in the 40s and
early 50s, this box will do that as well with reversal of the direction
of the diodes. In either case there is no alteration required of the
transmitter. If you are interested I will mail you a schematic with
hookup.

Howie WB2AWQ

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov