[HeathKit] SB-104A Never Say Never

Keith Rowland k4kgw at MINDSPRING.COM
Mon Jun 7 20:58:29 EDT 1999

Dave:

Check the back of the rig.  Is there a small U-shaped piece of coax with a
phono plug on each end inserted in the "VFO IN" and "VFO OUT"  phono jacks?

Also, check the 11-pin plug that goes into the "ACCESSORY" socket on the
rear of the rig.  There is a jumper between two of the pins (I forget which
ones, but your manual will tell you), which has to be in place before it
will work on high power.

If these things are in place, and it still doesn't work, the chances are
good that you have bad finals.  They're available, but I can't remember
offhand who has them.  Perhaps someone else on the list can give you info
about the finals...I saw a posting a good while back from someone who has
them.

Good luck.  I think you'll enjoy your 104.  I had three at one time, and
just finally sold the last two, which I had been using as my only rig, and
got a TS-930.  Even tho the 930 runs circles around the 104s, I still miss
them.

73,

Keith

David M. Nance wrote:

> I said I would never buy an SB-104A.  Not because there was anything
> wrong with the rigs, I just intended to focus on the earlier SB-tube
> series and the matching accessories.
>
> Well, yesterday I ate them words and now there is one in my garage.
> This one works on low power but not on high power.  In anticipation of
> having to replace the final transistors I was wondering if replacements
> are available, and where.
>
> Thanks,
> David - W4SSE
> dmnance at roanoke.infi.net