QSY HW-12 to 160

Steve Harrison ko0u at OS.COM
Mon Jun 14 20:20:03 EDT 1999

At 11:14 AM 1999-06-14 -0500, Michael Hopkins wrote:
>  But I'll stand by the HW-12 mod as it may the best chance for
>preservation.

I agree with this sentiment. In my opinion, one thing that really
distinguishes many Heathkits is the easy modifiability to something even
better. Heath (and other manufacturers, too) have been known to incorporate
some well-designed and useful mods that were first developed by Joe
Amateur, releasing the modified and improved radio as an A suffix.
Economics and age of the basic model usually prevented still further
production releases.

In my mind, the perfect radio is one that is easy to work on when it is
necessary. It's engineering, both mechanical and electrical, is already
superb and the actual design and implementation of the radio makes it
relatively easy to add still more improvements. Radios that are difficult
to work with are my least favorite, as I'm sure they are of the vast
majority of you readers (read: rice-burners, particularly those with
new-fangled surface-mount parts and microprocessors).

Frankly, the Heathkit that most impresses me is not one that is
gleaming-factory-stock; but rather one that has had various improvements
added in such a way that the additions/modifications WORK AND LOOK
factory-stock, which place the radio a class or two beyond the
gleaming-stock baseline model. THAT'S the one I'll pay premium dollar for,
not the museum piece that is virtually useless as anything but a
paperweight today.

73, Steve K0XP

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov