Off Topic - CK722 History

Jack Ward WARDWARDJ at AOL.COM
Wed Jun 16 23:13:59 EDT 1999

Hello Heath reflector,

I have been on the Heath List for quite awhile, mostly listening, but I have
gotten great help from a few folks on the list in the past.  I'm researching
early transistor history, especially point contact transistors (from the
early 1950's), tunnel diodes(from the early 1960's) and early IC's(from the
early 1960's).  I collect these things like alot of guys collect vacuum
tubes.  I had an article about early transistor history published in ARC.  If
you are interested, it is at www.antiqueradio.com   -go to the previous
issues section, Dec 1998.  I spent many hours researching this topic and got
good positive repsonse from readers who remember when the transistor was
first developed and began appearing in equipment.

Right now I'm researching the history of the CK722, which was Raytheon's
first commercial junction transistor, in 1953.  I know alot of hams and
engineers began their "tinkering" with this transistor.  I remember building
a 1 transistor regen receiver in the late 1950's using a bright blue CK722.
I'm hoping that someone in this group might have some of their own memories
about using a CK722 which I can use in my article.  I'm also looking for
other "memories" about early transistor use, not just with CK722.  Also, if
anyone has any of these units for sale or trade, I'm always interested.
Thanks for any help you can offer - and hope this is an ok use for the Heath
reflector.

Thanks,
Jack Ward

Sponsored by the City of Tempe