HW-7 VFO COIL QUESTION

Bill Coleman AA4LR aa4lr at RADIO.ORG
Thu Jun 17 11:02:29 EDT 1999

On 6/17/99 1:52, Greg Heath at KB2QQM at EMAIL.MSN.COM wrote:

>    I have an old HW-7 I am trying to tune up.  "L13" the
>VFO coil and some of the other slug tuned coils(15m, 20m,
>and 40m triplers and doublers) are sliding around in their
>shafts a little too easily giving me a hard time in setting
>them correctly.  Other than finding 'new' ones, is there
>anything I can do to make them a little more sluggish,
>without affecting their operation or making a mess.

If these are slug-tuned coils using threaded slugs with a hexagonal slot
in the core, you can sometimes "tighten" them by threading in a small
piece of narrow rubber band. Just remove the slug completely, then
reinsert it with a piece of rubber band next to it.

If these are slug-tuned coils using slugs with a threaded shaft, the same
trick won't work. You can sometimes take the slug/shaft out and re-crimp
the coil holder where it binds on the shaft -- just a bit. This should
increase the friction on the shaft.

Beware that either type of slug is fragile. Hex slot slugs are known to
break easily if they bind in the coil form too tightly, so use care
getting them out. Don't use too big a piece of rubber band, either, or
you might break the slub threading it back in.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at radio.org
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov