sb-230 re-tube

Bill Crowell bcrowell at EXCITE.COM
Fri Jun 18 11:10:44 EDT 1999

Bob, W9YA, asked me to post this for him (Bob, I had the same problem
posting.  Check to make sure your ISP account name is the same as your
listserv name.  That turned out to be my problem):On Fri, 18 Jun 1999
06:05:19 -0500, mouse at carlnet.org wrote:

> I'm sorry but for silly reasons I can lurk the list as a bona-fide
> list member but can't post anything. If you'd like to post this for me;
> f.b.
>
> Anyways, about your question. The 8874 and the 8873 are the same
> tube, the only difference being the 'press fit' anode cooler. The press
> fit
> is just that, the tube is cooled and the anode cap is heated then they
> are
> put together!!.. I have this on GREAT authority, one of the engineers
> that
> work(ed) at EIMAC in private correspondence.
>
> So, since the 8873 has now been discontinued, maybe if there is a way
> to get the anode cooler off of a dude tube, and a way to get the same
> off of a 8874 without damaging it, then.......
>
> BTW; yes I know that the dissapation ratings for the tubes are
> different.
> But that is DIRECTLY related to the cooling effectiveness of the two
> methods. (Three is you include the 8875, which again is the same tube
> with a different anode cooling assembly)
>
> ******Please let me know what, if anything else, you find out about
> this project. I am VERY interested.
>
> Tnxs agn es best 73
>
> Bob Finch
> w9ya at amsat.org
Bob, you know, I just don't think I want to fool around with the 887X tube
family anymore.  Too expensive and scarce.  Wouldn't it be better to design
a mod for the SB-230 to use a 4CX250 instead?  Tell me if I'm 'way wrong
about that possibility.  Bill

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov