DX-100 Project

Steve Harrison ko0u at OS.COM
Mon Jun 28 16:56:16 EDT 1999

At 04:03 PM 1999-06-28 -0500, Don wrote:
>Sorry to disagree, Dick. Heath always used the cheapest and usually the
>lowest grade of any material available. I still miss them, but they were
>most certainly the low grade components king at the time.

ABSOLUTELY UNTRUE. The King of Low Grade Components, at least in the US,
was very clearly, unequivocably, and unarguably,  Olson Electronics. Next,
I'd nominate Knight-Kit or Lafayette. Others fit somewhere in there, too,
of course (there's always exceptions to every rule, etc.).

Actually, I think Heath got all the el-cheapo bargain stuffs that
fly-by-night companies, trying to jump on the Government electronics gravy
wagon at the time, shoveled off on the unsuspecting-but-still-grateful
American public. Then, Heath auctioned off their rejects, which, for the
most part, were snapped up by Knight-Kit and Lafayette. Olson, seeing no
reason whatsoever to pay more than a penny on the dollar, got the dregs of
the pile.
:o)) (To be fair, though, Olson did have some neato gadgets from time to
time).

Doesn't really matter, guys; we all survived those days, and now we're
having fun with our $600 govmint-surplus toilet seat, right!!

73, Steve K0XP

Sponsored by the City of Tempe

Listserver Submissions:  heath at listserv.tempe.gov