Unbuilt GR-64 is gone, and I have found a kit to rebuild!

Dave Ellison zommbee at IX.NETCOM.COM
Sat Mar 13 01:24:50 EST 1999

Yikes!  Thanks to the ZILLIONS of folks who inquired about
the GR-64.  And a common answer to all, for the dozens I
didn't respond to directly, the reason I chose not to build
the GR-64 I have is simply value.  I realize somewhat how
much one is worth (I sure do tonight!!), vs a built one that goes
for maybe $50 - and likely much less.  Since this is just a
'fun project' for my kids and I, and since I have long wondered
about the challenge of 'unbuilding' and building a Heathkit,
the GR-64 sale gives my butchered budget enough to acquire
a GR-91 to 'unbuild' and offsets the cost of new tubes, small
parts, and some tools to replace the ones I can't get to due to
being in storage and all that.

And based on the advice of a number of list members, I will
NOT be unsoldering the tube sockets.  We'll just skip that
step as 'being done already'.  The risk to the circuit board is
too great.

I will be documenting the project on my website next month when
we start, so check there if you are interested.  I'll put an obvious
link at the top of the home page to make it easy to find.  I'll
post photos of both the 'unbuilding' as well as my kids helping
to 'rebuild' it and bring it to life.

Again, many thanks to the horde of folks who wrote.  Lots of
nice things said, TONS of very incredible offers, and many
pieces of advice.

take care all,

Dave WB7AWK
http://www.boatanchors.com