SB-104A 10 Meter Problem

Gary Harmon gharmon at IDWORLD.NET
Sun Mar 14 18:36:10 EST 1999

OK your experts, listen up because here's a strange one (not Keith but the
problem or maybe both).

Keith says:

"I have probed this thing off and on for some time now, and am
baffled.  I have put in known good boards from the other one, and it still
does
the same thing.  This would indicate to me the problem is not on one of the
plug-in boards, but there doesn't seem to be anything not on plug-in boards
that
could possibly cause this problem.  Obviously, it's in some circuit
involving 10
meters only, but all of these types of circuits are on boards.

What I'm getting is birdies that sweep the band.  They are loudest when you
release the PTT after going to the transmit mode, and slowly abate, but
never
completely go away.  In transmit mode, a watt meter on the output will show
110
watts output on all four 10 meter ranges, yet no carrier can be heard in a
nearby receiver.  I can hear myself when I speak into the mike and turn up
the
mike gain, but I think that it is the driver I'm hearing and not the final.
Also, if you push the PTT button on the mike, it shows the same 110 watts
output.  Of course, on the bands where it's working right, no output shows
until
you speak.  I guess that should tell me something, but it hasn't yet.  I've
checked voltages and have run thru the entire alignment procedure for the
working bands, and everything is kosher until you hit ten meters."

What do we have here fellow Greenies???

Thanks in advance,
Gary

Go Spurs!