SB-102

Ray A. Allen, Sr. w2kbr at TOAD.NET
Sun Mar 21 21:57:07 EST 1999

Hi Gary, Tom, Greenkeepers
        Hmmmmm another SB102 with output problems.  Shud be interesting.
Well I spent another 3 hours chasing down stuff. I noted all the 470K
resistors reading up around 515-520..that is still with specs(10%)
but I found it strange that so many were on the high side....
and also a few other resistors running high....
        Decided to check grounds, gnd lug screws, and screws used to
afix things like the caps in the final cage and elsewhere..much to
my surprise all took 2-3 turns to snug them up..then ran across all the
board to chassis nuts/bolts..same thing all of them took 2/3 turns,
a few even more...
        But, alas, output still hovers at 50 watts...another strange
thing I noticed this PM while just killing time listening to the
activity on 20 meters, there is a very noticable difference between
USB and LSB....on a dummy load, with white noise in the spkr, switching
from USB to LSB is almost like sw to the CW filter..not quite, but
almost.....so I went to the antenna again and went down to 80 and
40 meters, tuning LSB is quite a bit different than tuning USB....
Seems LSB is rather narrow, and requires a bit more effort to get
"right-on" freq..while USB signals are rather easy to tune "into"..
Wonder if LSB xtal is /has gone *funny*......I do recall "tuning"
the LSB LMO during alignment and did not notice anything strange...

Plate current is still up there, and lotsa grid current....
just not much in the after-burner.....aw well, what the heck, it's
raining here anyway, might as well work on this..

es 73 Ray

--
Ray A. Allen, Sr., W2KBR/3

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov