SB-102, the saga

Stewart Lyon stu_w6cux at JUNO.COM
Mon Mar 22 03:49:44 EST 1999

Ray -- you don't you have that thing fixed yet??  You have more patience
than I do.  It would have been a parts rig for me by now.

I didn't quite follow the below but I wonder if the crystals are off in
frequency or have been put in the wrong place. As you know, the TUNE/CW
crystal is 1 KHZ below the USB crystal.  If they were reversed, it would
put the tune signal way down on the slope of the filter (instead of the
center) and result in a low output (and really low output with a CW
filter switched in). It would also make the USB signals sound strange. If
you aligned the VFO on USB then the shifter on LSB, it would really screw
things up if the USB and CW xtals were switched. Look at Pict. 1-7.

The manual references I make are for the -101 manual. I assume the -102
manual is the same.

If you tune to a quiet place on a band with a lot of QRN, you should be
able to switch between USB and LSB with essentially no change in the
"hiss" frequency. If It does change, it means the crystals aren't in the
right place on the lower and upper slopes of the filter. I have found on
a -301/-401 combination, that both the LSB & USB crystals were LOW in
frequency. This takes some fancy juggling of the caps around the crystals
to get it right.  If you can get a frequency counter or have a reasonably
way to measure the frequency of the crystals, it sure makes it a lot
easier. I used my Kenwood TS440 which was close enuff.

Another thing to check is the wiring of the T/R relay.  Look at Pict..
3-1, check the wire color code of the wires at BE (t/r relay) pins 1,5,9.
 On the 301/401, I spent days finding a miswire here.

Good thing this is a hobby and not a business.  We would all be broke.

Wish we had some of your rain.
Are you on the Eastern Shores, where it rains every time I've been
there??

73, Stu W6CUX.
Winnetka, CA

On Sun, 21 Mar 1999 21:57:07 -0500 "Ray A. Allen, Sr." <w2kbr at toad.net>
writes:
>Hi Gary, Tom, Greenkeepers
>        Hmmmmm another SB102 with output problems.  Shud be
>interesting.
snip

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov