bidding on equipment

Adam Adkins aadkins2 at HOME.COM
Sat May 1 01:47:08 EDT 1999

On Fri, 30 Apr 1999 20:29:14 -0400, Drift, Marty wrote:

> I see that the e-bay sickness has come to the heath server . if you
>want to sell something just put a price on it . this bidding stuff takes
>to long . if someone wants it they will buy it . e-bay this is not .

        I absolutely agree with Marty.  I avoid eBay for several reasons, one of which is that I despise the slow turnaround bidding
process.  Moreover, as a newcomer to the Heath community of interest, I don't know what many of the items are worth, and often my
bids are totally ignored.

On Fri, 30 Apr 1999 17:42:22 -0700, Ben Wallace wrote:

>The list rules and regs are set primarily by the list manager.

        True, but the community itself makes the real "regulations."  If the bidding is offensive to most, then whether it is allowed by
charter or not, it should be avoided.  Naturally, if the majority appreciate it, then people like me should shut their traps.

On Fri, 30 Apr 1999 21:05:00 -0400, Dick Blaney wrote:

>I don't know about you guys, but my DEL key still works if I don't want the
>post.

        Of course it does, but there is one small problem.  Some of the posts that have involved bids do not say "bid" or "auction."  It
is (to me) exceptionally annoying to see a header that involves something of interest, only to find that the item is for auction.  I have
wasted the time reading it when I could have directly deleted the post, and also become annoyed that I am once again dealing with an
auction.  <bleah>  As a matter of principle, I generally will not make offers on auction items.  I want to know if I can buy something or
not - who needs the aggravation of waiting for someone to beat your bid?
        I suppose it would be acceptable to indicate FA in the header, but I am with Marty on this point: let's not turn this list into yet
another venue to advertise auctions.  If you have something for sale, say so.  Post a fair price, sell it to the first commitment, and
move on.  Above all, keep the list what it is - a technical resource.  I have learned so much from the kind folks on this list, I would hate
to see it become just another avenue to shill merchandise.

Adam, KM5SS
aadkins2 at home.com

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov