Regenerative Receivers - Do They Work?

Bill Coleman AA4LR aa4lr at RADIO.ORG
Wed May 5 13:59:05 EDT 1999

On 5/5/99 12:40 AM, Harvey A. Kader at optom at ibm.net wrote:

>My very first regenerative receiver was a Radio Shack one built from a
>kit in the 70's. It was a transistor model. It worked OK, but never
>picked up as much as my "real" receivers.

Ah, the Radio Shack Globe Patrol receiver. They went through at least two
physical designs on that kit.

That receiver is directly responsible for my involvement in amatuer
radio, plus my carreer in computers. My late Uncle bought a kit for my
older brother Ben (NJ8J now) for Christmas 1969. (Little did we know it
was to be my Uncle's last Christmas) Ben, my father and grandfather put
it together. Ben really got into SWLing. He upgraded the next Christmas
to a GR-64 (4-tube superhet), and I received a GR-81 (3-tube regen).

That Globe Patrol receiver is long gone -- cannibalized for parts for
some project ages ago. But it was a fine little receiver, because it got
myself (and my brother) started in electronics.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at radio.org
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov