Buffing Knobs and other plastic parts

Bill Coleman AA4LR aa4lr at RADIO.ORG
Thu May 6 15:30:52 EDT 1999

On 4/28/99 13:42, Ed Kotkiewicz at ekotkie at ezl.com wrote:

>Bill Coleman AA4LR wrote:

>> When I've seen my friend do this, he always uses a light touch, letting
>> the wheel do the work. For small parts, he moves them in and out of the
>> wheel range repeatedly. For larger parts, he moves the work around
>> continuously. Both practices limit the amount of localized heating caused
>> by the buffing process.
>>

>EK> Bill, just as a suggestion, you might ask your friend what the RPM is on
>his unit when he is polishing.

I checked this out with my friend this weekend. He says he runs the bench
grinder flat out, which is likely to be 1800 or 3600 RPM.

He does know people who have variable speed motors, and they do select a
lower speed for buffing out plastics.

For thermosetting plastics, like bakelite, heating is not a problem. For
thermoplastic plastics, like polystyrene, heating from buffing can melt
the part.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at radio.org
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov