DX-20 found.

wa1vwl wa1vwl at GROLEN.COM
Sat May 15 20:13:22 EDT 1999

The premier boatanchor event in the Northeast occurs twice yearly. Once
in the Spring and once in the Fall. The Spring event was last weekend.
It used to be held at the Deerfield, NH fairgrounds but has since been
moved to Rochester, NH fairgrounds. Hence the moniker "Deerchester".
Usually (at least for the last 3 years-or-so) it rains. This time it
misted intermittently. Nevertheless, I had a pretty good time. As the
message header indicates, a nice DX-20 was found for $44.00. And it
works too! Puts out about 40 watts to a dummy load on 40 meters and
about 30 watts on 10 meters. The case will need repainting. The front
panel will need some attention but I believe it will be fully
restorable. Of course the crystal "door" is missing but that's all
right. I'll fashion something that serves the same basic function. As
you can probably guess by now, I don't collect radios for money or shelf
display. Although I've been known to do that on occasion. No, I will
have this DX-20 active and on the air the way it was meant to be. Also
found was a nice HD-1410 keyer for $20.00. And yes, it also works.
Unfortunately, the previous owner had oversprayed the case with silver
paint. It didn't take much to remove that light coating and overspray it
with R&R Designs SB Late Cover paint. Good thing I already had a can
left over from my SB-303 project. Can't say I care much for the built-in
paddles though. It's not exactly a Bencher, to say the least. I notice
there's an RCA jack for a straight key on the back panel. I'm having
thoughts of removing that and installing a 1/8 inch stereo jack
connected to the paddles. This way I could always use the keyer with my
Bencher. I've already tried it successfully with clip leads. Another
non-destructive mod my be to convert the keyer output from solid-state
to reed relay output. That way, I could use it with my HW-8, Drake
T-4XC, and DX-20. But who knows if I'll have time to do all that. The
weather outside is sunny, dry, and pleasant in just about every way and
I have some yard work to do.

73/Gerry/W1ID

To subscribe: listserv at listserv.tempe.gov
To unsubscribe:  listserv at listserv.tempe.gov