HW-8

James A. Doty jamesd1 at USWEST.NET
Sat May 15 23:42:04 EDT 1999

Hi All:

Tonight I borrowed a Radio Shack DSP to use for
Field Day on my Kenwood TS-140s.

I plugged the DSP into my Tripplite 12vdc power
supply and into my Kenwood.  I used it for several
minutes and then there was a loud "POP!" from the
DSP.

I disconnected the DSP and discovered that one of
the capacitors had exploded.  I thought that might
be what the pop was.

I got to thinking about it, and realized that my
Heathkit HW-8 had been plugged into the same power
supply when it failed.

I grabbed my digital volt meter, set it for 20vdc,
and plugged it into my power supply.  I got an over
voltage warning on the volt meter.  I then set
the volt meter for 200vdc and read the output
voltage of the Tripplite at 25.1vdc.  We'll now I
have to tell my Father-in-law that I damaged his
DSP, I have to hit Radio Shack for an electrolitic
capacitor so I can repair the DSP, and I have to
repair my power supply.  Now for the good news.

I dug out the power supply that came with the Heathkit,
put it on the volt meter, and it read out at 13.1vdc.
I figured that was close enough.  I set up my
Heathkit HW-8 and plugged it into my Heathkit power
supply, turned everything on and sure enough, the
HW-8 works perfectly.  Full power out, clean signal
and good receive.

I'd like to thank everyone who replied to my
earlier e-mail asking for help.

Now to go give my Father-in-law the bad news about
his DSP.
James A. Doty
Technology Aide
Woodland School District